Saving Our Stream
This is an inquiry unit for Years 3 – 6
We created this inquiry unit is to support and encourage tamariki to engage with their local stream and to take collective action towards a sustainable future for their freshwater environment.
By the end of the unit students will:
- have knowledge of the physical features of their local stream and its history through stories from mana whenua
- have an understanding of the water cycle and how it relates to their lives
- identify some of the animals and plants in their local stream and have an understanding of their habitats and life cycles
- be able to describe the relationships between the plants and animals (food webs) and their reliance on a healthy habitat
- identify how humans have changed stream habitats and the water quality in an urban environment
- develop an understanding as to why streams are significant places, what their value is and whether they should be protected places
- identify and reflect on actions they can take to help protect waterways
The unit is made up of 6 separate sessions
Up the Creek
Wai … it goes round and round
Oh for a cool stream!
Hey! Watch where you chuck your muck!
Time to Come Clean
We’re Scheming for a Clean Stream
This unit was created by Chris McLean together with EcoMatters Environment Trust for Project Twin Streams.